Wednesday 19 March 2014

Book Cover placed in book store:

Since my last trip into Waterstones to see what my book cover looked like amongst, I decided to do this again as this proved to be a very useful way of seeing what works and what doesn't.

The first cover I photographed incorporated the blue cover, with the red featuring the 'outsiders' car and using this as a logo on the centre of the spine. 

Book Cover amongst table of Penguin Books.

Side View

Spine within bookshelf

The second cover I photographed was the all blue cover. Using the dark blue 'outsiders' car as a logo at the top of the spine. You can also see here the new design for the back cover.


Front Cover among other Penguin Covers

Spine within bookshelf.
Back Cover

As I'm at the final stage of my ideas now, I'm looking into creating 3 finals to then decide from. Since my last blog post, I have pushed my back cover design forwards a lot. Moving away from the repeat design in two blocks and to the a full spread of lino car pattern. This is because a successful book jacket should have a front and back cover that flows, whereas the initial idea for the back cover was quite rigid and the placement of the text did not reflect the integrated positioning of type within the imagery of the front cover. I re-worked the back cover to try create the same fluidity by placing the text around the cars. I need to make some minor adjustments but overall its now coming together. I just need to decide what colour palette to use and the placement of the logo on the spine or whether I even need it? Regarding colour palette, I used the rusty red colour because it firstly reflects the red of the American flag, relative as its an american author and fiction, and also the colour of rust = death is talked about within the narrative. Using the alternative of the dark blue also is there to represent the divide between the two gangs. From this point on I will carry my ideas through to a final 3 to then decide from!

No comments:

Post a Comment