Sunday 2 March 2014

UEA Collaboration Finale!

The Exhibition.

To conclude the collaboration project with the UEA students, last friday we had an exhibition inviting all that took part. I set up the seven final spreads for me and my partner to show the process, progress and conclusion of our work, shown in the examples below. I included pieces I had also made within the 'hardware' workshops to show how I came to the idea of the composition of the final spread. Therefore, two pages were from this workshop, one for the final spread and then the other pieces show both the texts and poems Georgie sent to me, with my development images or final imagery placed behind or beside the type.

When talking to Georgie's UEA tutor, he asked me to explain what I was presenting. I said how the themes I were working from within Georgie's prose were confusion, distortion, falling, lost and dreams. That is why I sectioned out the images and as the project went on they became more abstract. Georgie sent me a lot of prose to respond to - fiction and poetry, because of this and the ideas I were working from, I decided to cut up all 4 pieces of text she sent me and composed it myself onto the page. Portraying distortion and confusion through the presentation of the spread. Therefore, her text also became my own, as I formed the text in the end from her words and phrases. The tutor really liked this approach and response and recommended me to take a look at William Burrough's: Naked Lunch. I thought it would be more interesting to work in this way rather than just placing the text beside an image. Conveying my ideas behind my work and Georgie's.

7 spreads for exhibition


Close-up of work


Final double page-spread

Reflecting back over this project, I really enjoyed working with a writer, as I have never done this before. The role of the editor is normally placed upon the writer in the work place and publishing industry, but in this project I changed these roles around through myself editing the text down to work with the visuals. It was a shame I never got to meet my partner as she could not attend the final show, but it has been good and beneficial experience for the both of us. 



No comments:

Post a Comment