Tuesday 4 March 2014

Initial Book Cover Designs


Here are some examples of my first visualisations of the book cover. Using my scanned in lino cuts within the given PDF template, experimenting with type, imagery and composition. I came up with a number ideas using the cars on the front and back cover. I thought the simpler the image, the clearer the meaning can be conveyed to the audience. As my idea is about portraying the divide within the social gangs focused on in the narrative through symbol of their cars, illustrating this through isolation. Within my experimentations of typeface, I have chosen Avenir as it is a simple, crisp, contemporary serif font. I tried using sans serif type but because my cover has a young, new atmosphere to it, the sans serif looked to out of place and traditional. This element also inputed on my placement of the title. The example at the front with the type in the white banner, has a feel of a penguin book, but it looks classic. Not new, which was why I started to the place the title and author within the shapes of the cars.

From these, I will develop my ideas further. I have only used the colour blue and I think looking into other colours would be good to see the results as well as focusing on the spine too, as this is very important when displayed in a bookshelf.

No comments:

Post a Comment