Thursday 27 February 2014

Reflection:

At this point I had hoped that I would have completed the first project but this has not gone to plan. It took me longer than I thought to really it get into the project and establish my imagery. After we handed the research report I first became a bit at a loss. I spent a lot of focus time on my essay and really enjoyed writing it. To then go back to the practical work really since BA7 I was first nervous and not confident. I did work but not to my full strength. Over the last two weeks though, I have re-established my image-making and getting back into the full flow and potential of my practice. 

Whilst looking into the The Outsider for me, what really stood out to me was the reference of the cars to convey the divide in society between the upper and lower middle class - the Socs and the Greasers. From looking at drawing the particular cars mentioned in the prose I decided to take my imagery further into print making. I have tried different methods of print in the past, especially in the first year, but since then I have stuck to mediums that I love to use like paints and inks and have experimented with it forwards. Therefore this was a good point to try something new and see what results I could create! Using lino, I simply cut into a piece just bigger than A5 and printed on paper simply at home rather than on a printing press. I felt that I created some really exciting visuals that I could push further to maybe incorporate into the final book cover design.

Taking these results into my review on Tuesday with a few peers and Glyn, they liked the results. I had also tried some mono-printing and Glyn said that he liked the line work in those too so could I incorporate both mediums together? In my print design, I repeated the Soc's car but only showed one of the Greaser's car to isolate it from the others. Suggested to make this idea of exclusion stronger was to use colour to present the isolation or introduce line work over the top of the lino prints to show the difference and division in the cars.

This week I am in the process of investigating line imagery with print and also printing on different papers. I personally so far prefer using newsprint paper. This is because I like that it is off-white and also has a flat texture, so when its printed on the colour comes out flat. Unlike on some other papers where you can see its textures or grain. Also, the fact that I'm printing on such cheap, common paper could this reflect upon the class system portrayed within the narrative upon the upper class against the lower??

Even though I am slightly behind on my schedule at the moment, my work is picking up. So I aim to complete this project within the next few days so I can then move on to the next as I'm really looking forwards to pushing and develop my work from unit BA7.

No comments:

Post a Comment