Thursday 8 May 2014

Publication Interview Questions and Answers:

When starting a project or piece of work, what do you turn to for inspiration an/or ideas?
I tend to look back over work and projects I have done in the past, think about what has worked and what I have enjoyed exploring and responding to. After this I then tend to gain primary research from exhibitions, books and professional illustrators’ imagery to feed into my project as a visual basis. This gives me a base foundation to then respond to, especially as I have recently been responding to narratives, I then start to visualise the prose.


Your work features a lot of narrative and story focus; is this the direction you'd like to take your work in the future or do you have another path in mind?

Over my time on Illustration my work has focused down many different pathways, particularly reportage and narrative focus. I really enjoy to tell a story through my imagery giving an exciting visualisation of the prose for my audience viewing the work. In the future I hope to either teach or pursue a career with a creative input, involving delivering workshops and events to the public, carrying on with my illustrative practice in my own time.

Out of all the mediums you've used so far, which do you prefer to create work with and why?
I have always worked with a lot of colour and wet materials especially gouache and ink, but through this last year, I have developed a passion for lino cutting. This is because I have always preferred to work with a hands-on approach and to then use digital software to only then edit my imagery to finalise my work.

What is the most valuable skill you've learned whilst at NUA?

Some of the most valuable skills I have learnt during my studies at NUA are working with other people in the illustrative practice, learn how to use digital software to aid my work, introducing me to printmaking techniques and also giving me the confidence to pursue my studio work to the best of my abilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment