Wednesday 23 October 2013

BA7 begins!!!

So after my ideas have kept flitting about over the summer and the start of the term, but now I think I have come up with a project proposal!!! First I was looking at maybe doing a project based on a theatre as I really enjoyed BA5 last year which I did on the Norwich Puppet Theatre. I went to the Theatre Royal and the Maddermarket in Norwich to see whether it was possible for me to undertake a project at theatres but it turned out it wasn't that simple. The issues of copyright means I wouldn't be able to photograph anything, I would possibly be able to draw in rehearsals but not the theatre sets or props and I most probably wouldn't be able to draw during the actual show either. Hearing this wasn't exactly positive and therefore I don't think it would actually be possible to use the Theatre for my project. Secondly I thought about maybe I could make a project based on producing a series of illustrations that could be designed to be put onto packaging etc like the shop Paperchase. Simple illustrations are everywhere now in our consumerist society and I thought maybe I could into this and the elements of arrangement//placement//viewpoint//scale... and make some based on Norwich? I made some rough proposals for both ideas: but they were both very vague and lacked focus, target audience and purpose. After talking with Glyn and Chris last week (written about in reflective diary) I realised that the project doesn't need to be something extravagant. But something simple with a direct focus. Because of the way the theatre idea panned out, I wrote down in the proposal that I could focus on a theatre show instead and illustrate that as I'm interested in theatre and also went to the Lion King at the West-end in the Summer. By potentially looking into the Lion King I could then look into African art and culture and stimulate very exciting and interesting imagery. So instead, why don't I just illustrate an African timetable?? Would be good as once I decide which tale to then illustrate the narrative is there in front of me, and I can work from that. Therefore I have decided to make this my project! As I feel it could be really exciting to look into an African tale, because of its art and culture over history. A stimulant to producing dynamic and visually interesting imagery. So this is what I shall do!!

No comments:

Post a Comment