Wednesday 30 October 2013

Tales by the Night - Animation of Folktales directed by Michel Ocelot

I happened to come across an article in Varoom about a french director who had directed a film based from folk/fairy tales through animation!! I thought this was great as this links to both my studio and research report ideas and this is new example of how traditional tales have transitioned into the digital age. This animation comprised of a girl, boy and elderly technician meet up in an abandoned cinema to then act out the tales. Using just silhouettes and the backdrop to create the environment. Brightly coloured to determine place and mood.

Here are a few stills I captured when watching the film: 













It was really interesting to watch this animation and see how you can very simply act out a story through simple means. It has also given me a lot to think about. During the collaboration project one group made a stop animation, which was very simple but the finish product was really interesting! Could I look into this for BA8?... And also regarding my research report this is an exact example of how a tale has now adapted to the world of the digital. Great starting point to now work from. 

No comments:

Post a Comment