Monday 4 November 2013

Research Report Ideas continued...

It's coming up to my review about my research report and since my tutorial on friday with Glyn I have been reconsidering, or refining rather my topic for my extended essay... 

(INDIVIDUAL TUTORIAL SUMMARY:)


  • Look over information found about 'Tale of the Night' - shows how illustration of a tale has developed into animation. Has it been developed into an app?
  • Link studio practice into topic more... maybe look into multi-cultural publishing?
  • Look back over Varoom articles... Find a quote that could maybe stimulate essay?
  • Research into examples in articles - could discover something interesting!

This is the feedback I got about my research report, after the tutorial I felt rather stressed as I was really looking forward to starting my essay as I am really interested in what I chose, but hearing this it means that I most likely won't be able to do the 10,000 word option as there isn't enough body to make it the extended option. Thinking it over though if I now research further, to refine and focus my topic even more it will be a better essay rather than just talking about the topic of how digital technology has impacted on illustration. It is a large, but broad topic.

Starting to look back into the Varoom article: Tap my drawings, I looked into the examples given and stumbled across a few book apps!

An example of how an illustrated book has now turned into an interactive app is 'Alice for the iPad' by Chris Stevens. See video link: 




I also looked into Nosy Crow publishers and found out they have been translating fairy tales such as Cinderella, Three Little Pigs and Little Red Riding Hood. See link about one book app...





Another book app I looked into was 'The Magic of Reality' by Richard Dawkins, illustrated by Dave McKean. McKean's illustrations for the iPad Book App show how illustrators have had to adapt to new climates in book illustration. See trailer for book app:




Having an insight into all these book apps I never knew existed was very interesting! How the market for children's book is evolving with the digital age shows how illustrators are also adapting to the market and devices. This could be a very interesting focus into refining the topic of my research report. I do not have an iPad but may have access to one over the christmas period where I will write the majority of my essay where I can then explore, discuss and analyse some of the examples in the market and what this means for children's book illustrators.

No comments:

Post a Comment