Friday 8 November 2013

Project so far...

To create primary research for myself, I have visited the Castle Museum and yesterday I spent a few hours in the Sainsbury Centre at the UEA. Therefore, collecting a selection of observational drawings and photographs for my primary research that I can then work from as reference when responding visually to the African folk tale.

I hadn't been to the Sainsbury Centre since the first year of University, and it was really good to visit again as its a great free resource and contained a relevant artifacts from West and Central Africa since the 17th century. I photographed and drew African masks, sculptures, figures, ceremonial staffs and so forth and this really helped me to study the objects in detail and notice the correlation of elements through many of them.

Here is a selection of my observational drawings:

Observational drawings of Antelope from the castle museum

Charcoal line drawings at Sainsbury Centre

Watercolour and pencil of African Figures
By going to these places it was really good to just sit down and properly focus on drawing. From these drawings and also photographs I took I have created myself a background knowledge of the style of African art and sculptures in their culture over the centuries.

Graphite Drawing

No comments:

Post a Comment