Sunday 24 November 2013

Reflection on Development of Final Images

I just wanted to take a moment to reflect back on my progress over the last few days. When I had decided that I wanted to create my imagery using patterns and outline, influenced from my visual research into African culture I then tried to look into how I could present illustrations with a text. The original tale I took from a book and thought first can I present my illustrations with the text?


Here is a screenshot from my inDesign document. I have placement some illustrations to see how they would look when placed within the text. Using first Palantino typeface and then also trying Arial, you can see above the double spread which would be printed on A4. The typeface Palantino is often used in books which is why I chose to use it and produces a formal format, unlike the Arial typeface. As I started to place my images in the text I started to not like what it looked like immediately. I had really liked developing the style of images for the tale but when putting them within the text I really don't like how it has made them look. I tried this format as when I visited the book hive some children's book has incorporated illustrations into the text like this, but I don't think it works for my images.


Following placing the images within the text I then tried placing them next to the text on the opposite of the page which I've seen in children's books too. I think this works better but the typeface above is too light, whereas below worked better and is more legible. When I first proposed this project I said that I would create a 'collection or series of 4 to 6 images.' Why don't I just go back to what I had originally proposed? I think these layouts look better than the images actually placed in the text but as they are separate, I should just go back to producing images as a response to the tale. I have got too worried about the text that I am going off the focus of the illustrations which are the priority! 


Following my exploration of the text and image combined I started to just focus on the images and how I could use my patterns...




Here you can see how I have used the process of layering in my images, using photoshop as a tool to do this, then using InDesign to add text in my images, which are lines from the tale that I am working from. I really like the first image as I think as a composition its works well. The second two are okay and can be used as a basis to then develop. 



Cropping images into circles. Just thought I'd experiment to see how they look. Overall I think focusing on making an illustration that will stand on its own rather than beside the text is what I am going to follow through because it works more successfully. The images cropped in the circle cuts out elements in the image so do not work, but the process of layering and text in the image works well. I can now select and make exactly what I want to portray and respond to from the tale. Painting my patterns and outlines to then use photoshop to put the images together makes the illustrations quite graphic, but works well to be clear for a younger audience. I shall take my developments to my tutorial tomorrow and from my feedback, I will move this forwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment