Monday 18 November 2013

Progression with Research Report

Over the weekend and today I have focused on writing my research report draft for the deadline on friday so that its out the way and I can get on with my studio work. I had a tutorial with Catrin last week and she suggested to look down the route of how folk tales have been translated through digital means as this has direct relevance to my studio practice. I spent a day or so looking for a strong body of research for this topic but I did not find much, so I made the decision to tackle the question:

How has the digital age impacted on the illustrated book? 

Within this topic I will look into particularly children's books and story telling, therefore linking the transition of some examples tales that have been adapted to digital applications. Discussing subjects around first how the digital era has impacted on illustration and then looking into how children's story telling and illustrating narrative has transitioned into book apps. Some of the examples I will look at: Alice for the iPad, Nosy Crow's Little Red Riding Hood, Ustwo's Papercut and The Magic of Reality illustrated by Dave McKean. Even though I don't actually own an iPad, over the Christmas period I will be able to borrow my brother's to buy these apps to look at and analyse. 

Today I met up with Catrin to follow up from next week and she said I do not need to do much to it! I just need to tweak the first chapter and also add a mini conclusion on what I hope to achieve and find out by the end of the essay. Therefore, hopefully by tomorrow it will be finished :)

I am now writing the 5,000 word essay, even though originally I wanted to write 10,000 but this topic is suited to the lower word count and at least it will be finished just after Christmas and then I can focus on my other work. I have really enjoyed both researching and writing the report so far. I did find it hard at first as my research had become quite staggered because I kept receiving different feedback from different tutors. The nature of my bibliography has mostly journal articles and websites, not many books but this is because of the nature of my subject. What I'm talking about is still new. Therefore no books have been written about book apps. But using some books for a background knowledge, I can then feed this information with my found sources to debate the question I'm addressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment