Friday 11 October 2013

Collaboration Project Week 1 continued...

FRIDAY 11th:

Curating Dialogues...

For our dialogue me and Rachel brought in our art work we produced to then discuss in our dialogue about how we have responded, what has worked well and how we should move on this.

Here is a link to Rachel's soundcloud where you listen to a recording of our discussion:


It was really interesting to see Rachel's work that she had produced responding to Man Ray and Mapple-Thorpe's photographers and also good to hear her thoughts about my collages. Also, attending a group critique later on in the day with tutor Rachel Gannon and other students it was good to hear their feedback too. Even though I had never really used collage before, at first it was hard to know where begin, once I started it was fun and produced some good results. Considering elements of cropping, scale, selection and space. Rachel felt that one of the collage I made only using 3 pieces. But even though it was so simple, the minimalism and use of white space around it worked really well. Therefore, next week I am going to make some more collages similar to this based in other greek paintings. Rachel also said we need to focus our ideas, we are looking at very large subject areas so Monday me and Rachel can discuss and refine our ideas to a more focused one and continue producing artwork next to each other to then advise and work from.

Rachel's Work...

I personally liked this image the best. Eliminating and abstracting the face brings focus to the female form and makes a striking image. Especially using the contrast of the black paint and white page.






My Collages... (made from found imagery in Elle Magazine and the Classical paintings.)

This is the collage Rachel thought was most successful. I will work on more collages using this as a basis regarding using of white space and minimalistic imagery but focusing on layout and placement.



No comments:

Post a Comment